L’infolettre FLOQ n’a pas été traduite en français. S’il vous plaît veuillez lire la version anglaise.
The Covid-19 pandemic continued through the month of April 2020. Québec wrestling remains at a standstill, however, the FLOQ remains active in providing you with the most relevant information. Additionally, the FLOQ is working towards preparing a plan that will make Québec wrestling stronger than ever once we return to the mats. Within this newsletter you will find information regarding the 2021 National Championships, Linda Morais’nomination of Québec International Female Athlete of the Year, pertinent information concerning Covid-19, athlete resources, coaches’ resources, and much more!
MONTH IN REVIEW
On April 16th, 2020 Linda Morais (MWC/NTC) was nominated for the International Female Athlete of the Year by SPORTQUÉBEC for the 47th GALA SPORTQUÉBEC. Linda Morais was nominated alongside Kim Boutin (Speed Skating) and Aurélie Rivard (Para-swimming). The winner will be announced on May 6th, 2020. Congratulations Linda, and good luck from all members of the FLOQ!
2021 National Championships
With the outbreak of the Covid-19 pandemic, Wrestling Canada Lutte was forced to cancel the 2020 Jr./Sr. Nationals & 2020 U17-U19 Nationals. The dates have been confirmed for 2021, with the initially chosen host cities set to run both tournaments.
The Jr./Sr. Nationals will take place from March 19th to 21st, 2021 in London, Ontario. The U17/U19 Nationals will take place from March 26th to 28th, 2021 in Edmonton, Alberta.
Olympic Games & Olympique Qualifiers
On March 30th, 2020 the International Olympic Committee (IOC) announced that the 2020 Olympic Games will be celebrated from July 23rd to August 8th, 2021. They also agreed on the new dates for the Paralympic Games, which will be celebrated from August 24th until September 5th, 2021. For more information please consult: https://www.olympic.org.
UWW & IOC have confirmed that the qualification process for the Tokyo 2021 games will remain the same. Bulgaria will host the remaining world qualifier. For more information please visit:
Due to safety concerns surrounding the spread of the COVID-19 virus, the Fédération de Lutte Olympique du Québec (FLOQ) has suspended all sanctioned events and activities. FLOQ Staff and Directors will continue to monitor the situation and inform our members as more information becomes available.
We also request that in the event of a positive test for COVID-19 (by any athletes, coaches, officials and volunteers, or their family members) that the club must be informed and notify the FLOQ Executive Director.
The FLOQ recommends following the World Health Organizations advice.
It is recommended that you continue to follow the measures below to reduce the general risk of transmission of acute respiratory infections:
- Avoid close contact with people suffering from acute respiratory infections;
- Wash your hands frequently, especially after direct contact with ill people or their environment;
- Avoid unprotected contact with farm or wild animals;
- People with symptoms of acute respiratory infection should practise cough etiquette (maintain distance, cover coughs and sneezes with disposable tissues or clothing, and wash their hands).
- Practice social-distancing.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth.
- If you have fever, cough and difficulty breathing, seek medical-care early.To access updates on the situation and health advice, go to the WHO website. https://www.who.int/homeSport’Aide – Covid-19
Signes et/ou symptômes – assistance:
Voici la ligne téléphonique privilégiée pour toute question : 1-877 644-4545
Respecter toutes les directives et consignes de la Santé publique et du Gouvernement du Québec.
Sport’Aide vous propose son offre de service élargie afin de vous aider à faire face au contexte du Coronavirus COVID-19.
- Élargit son approche d’accompagnement aux jeunes sportifs, leurs parents, entraîneurs, officiels et administrateurs qui pourraient vivre de l’anxiété en lien avec la cessation de toutes les activités sportives ;
- Adapte sa campagne de communications « grand public » (ex. La Presse de ce matin) ;
- Lancera une campagne sur les médias sociaux et plateformes web.
- Fournira aux fédérations/clubs dans les prochains jours un kit de communication réunissant tous ces visuels « Sport’Aide – COVID-19 »;
- Publiera des blogues et des capsules vidéos (messages de personnalités publiquessportives :
- Sylvain Guimond, Jean-Luc Brassard, Cindy Ouellet et Karen Paquin) invitant les jeunes sportifs, leurs parents et entraîneurs à contacter Sport’Aide s’ils vivent de l’anxiété ou s’ils sont besoin de parler de leur situation;
Liens utiles : www.sportaide.ca
Ligne téléphonique et SMS: 1-833 211 AIDE (2433)
Wrestling Canada Lutte Covid-19 resources
You can now find a variety of resources on the WCL website which will provide strategies to help cope with the COVID-19 pandemic: https://wrestling.ca/resources/covid-19- resources/.
Coach Education + Safe Sport (Rule of Two)
Following requests from the sport community, additional information has been prepared to support sport organizations, coaches, parents/guardians and participants with implementing the Rule of Two for training in a virtual/online environment. The information has also been posted to the CAC’s website: https://coach.ca/three-steps-responsible-coaching.
Additionally, the FLOQ is happy to announce the launch of its new website. The FLOQ’s new website is now easier to navigate and features the most up-to-date information and media concerning Québec wrestling. The website also contains new information concerning coaching and officials. We invite all of our members to take the time to search its contents to find articles, upcoming tournament schedules, and club information. The new website can be found at www.floq.ca.
The FLOQ also asks the coaches to review their club’s information. Please contact Noël Tremblay at firstname.lastname@example.org if any information needs to be changed.
Click here to read the Radio Canada article on Linda Morais “Linda Morais plus de temps pour se relancer vers Tokyo”.
In order to make the Newsletter as beneficial as possible for all of FLOQ members please feel free to send Noel Tremblay (email@example.com) any of the information listed below in order for Noel Tremblay to include them in the Newsletter:
- Home Workouts.
- Any results from athletes from your club (Tournaments, GMAA Duals, Sport Awards…)
- Any flyers for tournaments, camps, clinics…
- If you have anything else that you might want to share with the FLOQ Coaches.
For all other FLOQ news please follow FLOQ Social Media pages.